Biona Black Bean and Sweetcorn Burger
A delicious recipe packed full of nutrients and flavour that can be enjoyed for both lunch or dinner.
1 tsp Biona Organic Olive Oil
1 small red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Fine sea salt
2 x 400g can Biona Organic Black Beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp Biona Organic Tomato Puree
1 large egg or flax egg*
1 x 340g can Biona Organic Sweetcorn
15g chopped fresh coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
220g rolled oats, ground into crumbs
• Place the quinoa in a small saucepan along with 1 cup of water. Bring the water to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and cover the pan. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the water is absorbed and quinoa is cooked. Remove from heat.
• Heat the oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic. Sauté until onions are softened, 5-6 minutes. Place the mixture in a large bowl. Add approximately 1½ cans of black beans to the bowl and using a potato masher or fork, mash all of the ingredients together until a pasty mixture forms.
• Stir in the remaining beans along with the tomato paste, egg, corn, coriander, cumin and a pinch of salt. Stir in the cooked quinoa and ground oats until evenly distributed.
• Form the mixture into 8 equal patties, compacting them well with your hands as you form them. Place the patties on a baking sheet, cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
• When ready to eat, preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray and place the patties on the sheet. Cook 10-12 minutes until the patties are golden brown and crispy, then carefully flip the over and cook another 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can pan fry the patties in a frying pan with a little olive oil. Serve the patties on wholegrain burger buns, lightly toasted and toppings of your choice.