Look After Yourself - Be Healthy!
- ✔ Healthy eating can reduce your risk of developing Heart Disease, Stroke or Diabetes. It is essential for maintaining a healthy body weight, healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels as well as enhancing your overall general well-being.
- ✔ Exercise Aim for a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate intensity aerobic activity per week. One way of achieving this is a 30 minute brisk walk 5 days per week.
- ✔ Stop Smoking
- ✔ Alcohol You should spread your alcohol intake over the week, keep some day’s alcohol free and do not drink more than the recommended upper limits: for men 17 standard drinks a week. For women 11 standard drinks a week.
Healthy Eating Is Necessary For Good Health.
Here Are Some Golden Rules To Follow:
- Always shop after you have eaten. If you shop when hungry you are more likely to buy high fat and high sugar foods.
- Avoid shopping on impulse; plan your meals and snacks for the week.
- Buy lots of fresh fruit and vegetables in a variety of colours.
- Frozen vegetables are a useful and nutritious alternative to fresh vegetables.
- Buy more fresh foods than processed.
- Read food labels carefully and buy low-fat or low sugar varieties where possible.
- Use herbs and spices to add taste to meals instead of salt.
How You Eat Is Important:
- Eat regularly, three main meals with one or two small snacks daily.
- Watch your portion sizes.
- If eating out, choose either a starter or a dessert with a main meal, not both.
- Eat slowly, chew your food and swallow each bite before taking another.
- Pause and put down your knife and fork in the middle of a meal.
- Always sit down when eating.
- Avoid eating when watching T.V., reading or listening to the radio.
How You Cook Is Important:
- Oven-bake, grill, boil, poach, stir-fry or microwave food instead of frying.
- Boil, steam, dry-roast or bake potatoes.
- Try a light cooking spray instead of cooking oil.
- Use a perforated tray or wire rack for roasting.
- Choose lean cuts of meat and chicken.
- Drain fat off meat and sauces when they are cooked.
- Choose tomato-based sauces instead of creamy sauces for pasta and rice dishes.
- Bulk-up stews and soups with lentils.
- Do not add salt when cooking.
- Use oils such as olive oil or rapeseed oil instead of lard, dripping or butter.
- Health grills or ridge pans can be useful for draining off fat when cooking.
What Is The Best Way To Achieve A Healthy Weight?
The HEALTHY EATING WAY is the best way to be a healthy weight.
- Focus on what you can eat rather than on what you can’t eat.
- Eat regularly. Research shows that people who eat breakfast regularly are more likely to keep their weight down.
- Limit your food choices from the top shelf and choose low-fat foods from the other shelves of the food pyramid.
- Look carefully at the size of your food portions.
- Increase your fibre intake – choose five portions from the fruit and vegetable shelf.
- Chew your food slowly and put your knife and fork down between bites.
- Always sit down to eat.
- Aim for a gradual weight loss of one to two pounds a week.
- Exercise: aim for 30-60 minutes most days of the week.