You Only Get One!
It is at our core and is synonymous with love. What could we be taking about? Yes, our hearts! It works tirelessly every second of every day sending vital oxygen rich blood to all of our organs and muscles. The human heart is one of nature’s true miracles. Designed for power, speed and endurance it is one truly amazing feat of nature. When was the last time you gave your heart a second thought? I thought so! It’s so common for people to think out of sight, out of mind in relation to their hearts. Many of us take a reactive approach and not a proactive approach to heart health. It only comes to the forefront of our thoughts when something goes wrong. And in many cases it’s too late, the damage has already been done. Here are just some amazing heart facts to get you appreciating your heart a little more.
• Your heart has the mighty job of keeping blood flowing through the 60,000 miles of blood vessels that feed your organs and tissues.
• Regular exercise and a good diet are the best ways to keep your heart healthy and they’re free!
• Laughter is good medicine, a good belly laugh can send 20% more blood flowing through your entire body
• Squeeze a tennis ball tightly and that’s roughly how hard the beating heart works to pump blood around your body!
After looking at these amazing facts, it’s clear that we need to protect and care for our hard working hearts. We only get one, so let’s cherish it! Unfortunately, many of us are unaware of the high number of cases of heart disease in Ireland. Did you know that heart disease is the biggest killer of both men and women in Ireland? Research conducted in Ireland indicated that approximately 10,000 people a year will die from cardiovascular disease (including coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke and other circulatory diseases) accounting for 33% of all deaths in Ireland.
At Evergreen, we believe in a proactive approach to heart health. We are in the business of keeping people healthy through a combination of a healthy diet and active lifestyle. We wanted to create this booklet to inform and educate our customers on how best to support a healthy, happy heart! We are strong believers in small changes, big results! So for the coming weeks at Evergreen we are here to help you start looking after your heart.
Heart Disease - Did you Know?
- 50% of men and 64% (almost two thirds) of women who die suddenly of coronary heart disease have no previous symptoms. Even if you have no symptoms, you may still be at risk of heart disease.
- Cardiovascular Disease accounts for 36% of all deaths and 13% of premature deaths (under 65) in Ireland and is a major cause of disability.
- Cardiovascular Disease is the biggest killer of women in Ireland. But yet, 90% of women are not aware of this.
- Heart Disease develops in silence. It is generally very advanced before people experience any symptoms.
- You are more likely to have a heart attack on a Monday morning than any other time of the week.
- Stop Smoking, Smoking makes the risk of a heart attack 200% to 400% greater than that of nonsmokers. So make the effort and stop smoking today! Your heart will thank you!
- One third of heart attacks are fatal, another third result in permanent damage to the heart.
- Women are 6 times more likely to die from heart disease or stroke than from breast cancer.
- High Cholesterol, high blood pressure, overweight/obesity, inactivity and smoking all influence and increase your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Often, instead of chest pain women experience nausea, indigestion and shoulder aches when having a heart attack.
Fascinating Facts about the Heart
- The heart will beat more than 100,000 times a day, which is 2.5 billion beats in an average lifetime.
- The ‘thump-thump’ of a heartbeat is the sound made by the four valves of the heart closing.
- Heart disease has been found in 3000 year old mummies
- Every day, the heart creates enough energy to drive a truck 20 miles. In a lifetime, this is the equivalent to driving to the moon and back.
- Your left lung is smaller than your right lung to make room for your heart.
- A woman’s heart beats faster than a man’s. The average man’s heart beats approximately 70 times a minute while a woman’s heart beats 78 times a minute.
- Your heartbeat changes and mimics the music you listen to.