Our bodies take a huge amount of stress and strain on a daily basis, so it's not surprising that our joints can start to cause us tremendous pain and discomfort as a result. There are more than 100 different types of arthritis that can lead to extremely debilitating joint pain. This crippling disease isn't just unique to the elderly, but affects the quality of life for millions of people, of all ages, every day.
Natural herbal formulas to treat joint problems have been used for centuries and may help alleviate pain, discomfort and problems with movement. Many of these herbal formulas are made of bitter and mucilaginous herbs typically combined with digestive formulas. Here is a list of some natural herbs that can be used to help support joint health:
- Hydrangea - provides both bitter and astringent compounds that may help the body shrink inflamed tissues.
- Yucca - The root contains saponins that support the body with inflammation.
- Horsetail stems and strobilus - noted for its many trace minerals necessary for healthy joints and adjoining tissue. This herb contains a lot of natural silica, needed by the joints and it could help to relieve pain of arthritis and gout.
- Alfalfa - The aerial parts help keep joints healthy and it contains many trace minerals due to its unusually deep root system. This is often called a master herb, or natures multivitamin/multi-mineral herb.
- Yarrow - The aerial parts help the body deal with inflammation and may help to prevent muscle spasms.
- Burdock - One of many herbal formulas for arthritis, best used in herbal combinations. These formulas are often based on the traditional concept that alkalizing herbs (such as Burdock) will neutralize acids and toxins and expel them more quickly.
- Turmeric & Ginger Tea - both are anti-inflammatorys, and could help with osteo and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Juniper Berry Tea - If taken daily, juniper may be able to reduce uncomfortable inflammation thanks to its terpene content.
- Bosweilla supplements - Also known as Frankincense, Bosweilla is a flowering plant native to Africa and Asia. The gum resin or extract of the plant works as an anti-inflammatory and a potential pain-killer.
- Pectin and grape juice - Pectin is a water soluble carbohydrate substance found in the cell walls of plants. It has become popular as a home remedy for arthritis when combined with grape juice.
- Cayenne Capsaicin Ointment - A common OTC pain reliever for joint pain. Capsaicin is a component in hot peppers that inhibits a substance involved in transmitting pain signals to our brain.