Holiday from Home - Balti Curry
Why not ditch the take away this weekend and try your hand at making your own Indian! This is one of my favourites as it's hearty and warming but without being too hot and spicy. This is great for all the family and is so easy to make. All you need is one pot or pan and about 45 mins. Go on give it a go!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (TerraNova/Nutiva/Biona/Viridian)
- 2 large red onions, thickly sliced
- 1 – 2 cloves of garlic (crushed or sliced)
- 1 courgette, diced
- 400g Biona chickpeas
- 400g Biona aduki/kidney beans
- 4 tbsp Patak’s Balti curry paste
- 200g Evergreen organic quinoa
- 400g can Biona chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable stock (Kallo stock cubes, reduced salt)
- 50g whole cashews (not salted/roasted)
- Small bunch coriander, leaves chopped
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pan, sauté the onions, garlic and courgette for 5 mins until golden and softened.
- Stir in the Patak’s Balti Paste, quinoa (raw not cooked), chickpeas and aduki beans. Sizzle for a few mins, then pour in the tomatoes and stock and give everything a good mix.
- Bubble gently for 25 mins until the quinoa is tender and soft.
- Stir in the cashews and garlic along with most of the coriander. Add seasoning like black pepper if required.
- Pile into bowls and scatter over the rest of the coriander to serve.