Japanese Style Miso and Vegetable Soup
1 onion sliced and chopped thinly
1 carrot diced very small
1 red pepper halved, deseeded, sliced thinly lengthwise and then cut across into small pieces
2 cloves of garlic crushed in a garlic press
1 inch piece of fresh ginger (skin should be smooth & not wrinkled), peeled, grated & chopped up fine
2 oz frozen peas
3 tablespoons of brown rice miso (Sanchi)
2 individual packets of toasted nori strips (Clearspring)
2 tbsp tamari or shoyu sauce
½ block of tofu sliced thickly and cut into ¼ inch cubes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1½ pints of water
- Pour the oil into a medium saucepan. Heat gently and add the onions, carrots and red pepper.
- Sauté with the lid on until they are soft.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger & cook for a minute or two. Add the peas. Then add the miso and stir into the vegetables.
- Gradually stir in the water & then add the tamari or shoyu sauce.
- With kitchen scissors, snip the nori sheets into small strips into the soup.
- Gently stir in the tofu and keep on a low heat making sure it doesn’t boil.
- Cook gently for a few more minutes and serve.