Gluten Free Mince Pies
For the Mincemeat:
- 100g Evergreen organic raisins
- 100g Evergreen organic sultanas
- 100g Evergreen organic currants
- 50g Evergreen cherries
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground mace
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g vegetable suet (optional)
- ½ bramley cooking apple (cored & chopped, not peeled)
- 1 lemon (cut into small pieces, not peeled)
- 1 orange (cut into small pieces, not peeled)
- 120ml brandy/whisky
For the Pastry:
- 375g Doves Farm gluten free and wheat free flour
- 1.5 tsp Doves Farm xanthan gum
- 1 egg, to glaze
- 125g butter
- Caster sugar
1. Mix the dried fruit, spices & suet (if you are using it).
2. Purée the apple, orange & lemon pieces in a food processor.
3. Add this mixture to the dried fruit & brandy/whisky & mix well.
4. Cover and set aside for between 2-24 hours. (You can also place in sterilized jars to store for later use)
5. For the pastry, sieve the flour into the bowl of a food processor.
6. Add the butter/margarine & blend until it resembles crumbs.
7. Add 8-10 tablespoons cold water to mix to a dough and blend until it forms a ball.
8. Remove from the processor and leave pastry in the fridge for 30 minutes.
9. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease & flour your mince pie tins.
10. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out to a thickness of about 5mm. Cut the pastry in circles with a cutter slightly larger than the size of each pie. Line your mince pie tins with it, pushing the pastry up the edges.
11. Spoon the mixture into each pie. Roll out lids to top each pie. Wet the edges of the dough and press it together with your fingers to help it stick.
12. Beat the egg in a bowl and brush the lid of each pie generously to glaze.
13. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pies are lightly browned and the pastry cooked.
14. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sugar if desired. Cool slightly before lifting them out of the tins and allow to cool.
15. Store in an airtight tin. Can be served warm or cold.