Quinoa, Black Bean & Vegetable Stuffed Mushrooms
1 tsp Biona Organic Coconut Oil
85g uncooked quinoa
1 tbsp Biona Organic Coconut Oil
200g Organic Butternut Squash – Diced
90g chopped red cabbage
150g Red Bell Pepper – Diced
1 tsp Ground cumin
1 tsp Chilli powder
½ tsp sea salt (divided)
90g Biona Organic Black Beans (drained)
4 large Portobello mushrooms
1-2 tbsp melted Biona Organic Coconut Oil
1 tbsp Lime Juice
½ tsp ground cumin (divided)
¼ tsp smoked paprika (divided)
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp Lime Juice
145g Fresh Basil (stems removed)
25g Pine Nuts
3 large garlic cloves
30ml Biona Organic Lemon Juice
3-4 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
¼ tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
30-45ml Biona Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
45-70ml water (more as needed)
- Preheat oven to 200c and set out a rimmed baking sheet or a large baking dish.
- If you don’t have any cooked quinoa on hand, start by heating a saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tsp of Biona Organic Olive Oil and 1/2 cup (rinsed and drained) quinoa. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently and add 1 cup water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Then reduce the heat to simmer and cook until the liquid has mostly absorbed and the quinoa is tender ( approx. 15-18 minutes). Drain off any excess liquid if needed. Then set off the heat uncovered to let any excess moisture evaporate.
- In the meantime, add mushrooms to a shallow baking or serving dish and season with oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt. Flip/toss to combine and set aside to let marinate.
- Next, prepare vegetables by heating a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) oil or water, sweet potatoes, and bell pepper. Sauté for 3-5 minutes (covered) or until slightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add cabbage, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, and 1/4 tsp sea salt and sauté for another 3-5 minutes or until all vegetables (especially potato) are tender and slightly golden brown. Set aside.
- Transfer vegetables from skillet to a large mixing bowl and set aside. Then, to the same skillet over medium heat, add the mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes on both sides to brown and soften. Cover to lightly steam for the final minute. Then transfer to a baking sheet face up and set aside.
- To the mixing bowl with the vegetables, add cooked quinoa, drained black beans, remaining 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp sea salt, and lime juice and toss to combine.
- Divide the filling between the mushrooms.
- Bake at 210c for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms and toppings are hot and slightly browned.
- Serve with fresh pesto and enjoy!