Red Bean and Vegetable Quinoa Risotto
1 tin of red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
170g quinoa, washed in a sieve under a running tap
2 medium red onions, finely chopped
1 red & 1 orange pepper, deseeded & chopped
2 courgettes, diced
2 carrots, scrubbed & diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp dried Italian or French herbs
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
6 tbsp of tomato puree
Handful of chopped parsley
2 tsp brown sugar
Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat a couple of tbsp of oil & gently fry the onions.
- Add the carrots & peppers & cook for a few mins with the lid on. Add the herbs & crushed garlic. Stir well. Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato puree & stir in the water.
- Lastly add the quinoa & courgettes. Stir until everything is mixed well. Bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer & cook with the lid on for 15 mins.
- During this time the quinoa will burst open & look transparent with circular tails. Add a little more water if it starts to stick & stir in the salt, pepper & sugar.
- Serve with some crumbled goats cheese & a mixed salad.