Let’s face facts, we all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. However, many of us miss this essential meal altogether or have an uninspired, lacklustre breakfast. Smoothies are a great way to start your day. It's a breakfast that’s packs a punch in the flavour and nutritional department. At Evergreen, we are often asked what are the advantages of having a smoothie for breakfast. They are:
1. Quick and easy to make
2. They taste amazing
3. Great way to add extra fruit and veg to your diet
4. Helps your body to produce energy
5. Supplies your body with a large amount of vitamins and minerals
6. Great for the immune and digestive system
7. Kids love them!
8. Ideal when detoxing
9. Helps your body to repair after exercising
10. Fun to make and the whole family can get involved
What Makes the Perfect Smoothie?
There are four simple rules to keep in mind when you are making the perfect smoothie. The first and most important rule is balance. When choosing your ingredients you need to have ingredients which are rich in protein, healthy fats and carbohydrates.
The next tip, fresh is best. Fresh ingredients are great as they are packed full of nutrients and they also taste amazing! When picking up your ingredients look at the label and try to select ingredients with little or no additives. You want to keep your smoothie additive free, if possible as many processed foods contain a large amount of hidden sugars.
Low fat ingredients are not always the best option. Low fat products are so well advertised and promoted that many of us will select the low fat option. Low fat is not as good as it seems. Many low fat products contain large amounts of additives and refined sugars to try and replicate the taste and texture of the full fat versions.
Be careful of the sugar content of your smoothie. Sugar can be wonderful, it gives an instant energy boost and tastes great! However, if your smoothie contains too much sugar it can lead to an energy crash early in the day! When making your smoothie, try to use ingredients that have little or no sugar added. Be careful if you are using any pre-juiced juices or yoghurts as many of them have vast amounts of sugar added.
Try something new, often! Like most things in life, familiarity breeds contempt. Smoothies are fun and you are the creator, so don’t be scared to try new combinations. Keep your taste buds indulged!
To get you started we have the perfect starter smoothie recipe for you created by our very own Therese.
Therese's Super Smoothie:
1. To begin with add some water, natural yogurt or some dairy free milk
2. Add a generous handful of fresh spinach (Great source of iron)
3. Half a frozen or fresh banana (Excellent source of potassium)
4. 1 small pear (Rich in vitamin C, E & B2 )
5. 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds (Contains the healthy fat omega 3 & fibre)
6. 1 teaspoon of Spirulina (One of the best superfoods packed full of protein, omega 3 and iron. Brilliant for vegetarians!)
7. 1 Tablespoon of hemp Protein Powder (High in protein and fibre)
8. Then blitz until smooth and add water or more liquid to get the desired consistency