Traditional Christmas Cake
- 1kg assorted dried fruit
- 150ml orange juice
- 250g vegetable margarine
- 250g sugar
- 150g plain soya yoghurt
- 250g flour
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp all spice
- Grated rind of 1 orange & 1 lemon
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp brandy
1. Chop any larger dried fruits (dates, figs, pears, peaches & apricots). Mix together all the fruits and the orange juice, leave covered for 1-2 days stirring occasionally.
2. Line a 8” cake tin with oiled grease proof paper and preheat the oven to 160ºC.
3. Cream the margarine and sugar. Slowly beat in the soya yoghurt. Sift the baking powder into the flour, nutmeg & all spice & fold it in. Gently stir in the soaked fruit, citrus rind and almonds. Pour into the tin and bake immediately for 4 to 4½ hours.
4. Cool in the tin. Once cooled remove it from the tin, turn it over and prick the base with a skewer, pour over the brandy. Wrap in greaseproof paper and store for 1-3 months in an airtight tin.